Thursday, September 8, 2011

Where is Sister Maria Von Trapp when I need her?

The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions. -Ellen Glasgow

Let's play a little game I called Catholicism.  You be the priest and I will be the one in the confessional booth.  You ready?  Bloggers, forgive me for I have sinned.  I have spent a lot of energy as of late feeling bad for myself and being careless in the mental activities I have otherwise committed myself to for the past 18 months. 

I don't know the Hail Mary (can I phone a friend?) and I don't think doing 3 Our Fathers is going to fix this situation.  But I do think that in my minimal knowledge of 12-step programs that admitting you have a problem is the first step, right? 

While this may all sound a little sarcastic and I don't intend to offend any Catholics or recovering addicts, I will point out the seriousness in all this:  We all have found ourselves in situations in which we are throwing a pity party (I have yet to have anyone else show up for these parties?) and spend our days surviving as a victim, rather than thriving as an active participant and choosing to direct the sails in the winds and waves that may come. 

As someone who has been here before--I will offer a few pointers to assist in working to make sure that your rut doesn't become your grave:
-Be rational--is the whole world REALLY against you? 
-Be honest with yourself--whose fault is this situation really?  And assuming it is yours, stop feeling bad for yourself and MOVE ALONG.
-Be positive--now that you recognize the dysfunction that is occurring, what positives can you recognize in yourself, despite this going on?
-Be forward thinking--so you screwed up, so you're not doing well with whatever--what's the next step?

So--you may all now join me in the conclusion of this pity party as I work to embrace the gray within me today--inherently flawed and intrinsically motivated to continue to do and be my best. 

No comments: