Sunday, September 18, 2011

The art of distraction

Any occurrence requiring undivided attention will be accompanied by a compelling distraction. -Robert Bloche

I've been asked by a few folks about how my 22-mile run went last weekend, so I figured I should respond--and tell you that the most important thing I learned about this run is the art of distraction.  While the IPOD was playing the entire time--until it died about 2 miles before I was done--I enjoyed various distractions, including, but  not limited to:

  • Danced to the Zumba songs (Gimme Gimme was kinda awkward!!  JK!)
  • Pictured the Power/Centergy routines with the corresponding songs
  • Made a grocery list
  • Recited old phone numbers I still remember
  • Created a list of people who have inspired me throughout this training process
  • Calculated how many miles to the nearest bathroom
  • Counted down until I would get to the bathroom
  • Counted how many steps I take in a single mile (about 1800)
  • Recited Jim Gaffigan quotes in my head (if you haven't heard of him, watch his movie on Netflix)
  • Wondered what EVERYBODY ELSE in my life was doing at various points throughout my run
I did find myself questioning at several points, but I knew I was too darn stubborn to really give up--and I pushed through and felt good.  I did have some cramping in the legs, but I stopped & stretched, and then kept going.  I did a lot of stretching & rolling out with "The Stick" -- then got up on Saturday and did the 5k (see yesterday's post).

Anyway--today is short and sweet--but there are some great posts coming in the next few weeks. 

I hope everyone got to enjoy their weekends!!

No comments: