Monday, September 26, 2011

20

Courage! What makes a king out of a slave? Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot? Courage!  -Wizard of Oz


Naked baby Riah
As we are at the 20th day of the countdown, it seems only appropriate that it should be for my 20 year old sister, Mariah.  As I have never EVER called her by her first name, I will no longer refer to her as that for the remainder of the blog.  She does have over a dozen nicknames--but I will use the one I use most, Riah.
Riah & La in France--eating cheese!
She and I have had an indescribable connection since before she was even born.  I ALWAYS wanted a little sister.  I would go to the window at my house on University Avenue and peer out the window and recite "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might have this wish I wish tonight."  I'd then squeeze my eyes closed very tightly and repeat "I want a baby sister" over and over again.  I was CERTAIN that this was the reason my Mom got pregnant in 1990--wasn't I surprised when the birds and the bees explanation came!!  Riah was due in late May of 1991, but like the 2 babies before, my Mom knew she would be late.  My brother and I were getting tucked into bed on June 3 and all of a sudden I knew it--the baby was coming.  I wouldn't get into my bed until I packed an overnight bag.  Despite my parents both encouraging me to go to bed, I refused until that bag was packed, even waking up my brother to tell him to do the same.  Finally, I was packed and I let my parents tuck me into bed.  Within the next hour or two, my Mom came in to wake me up.  "Why?" you ask?  Because the baby was coming!!  We got dropped at the sitter's house while they went up to the hospital.  The next morning, my Dad showed up at the school to get us to go up to meet the new baby!! 
The fam!
From that night forward, she and I have always seemed to have had a telepathic connection--the thing you read about that twins have, except we are not twins (although my Grampa can't tell us apart, so we might as well be twins!) and I'm 9 years older.  She and I have had endless inside jokes, memories, fun times, and times that we just had to get through together.  She's one of the few people I can actually argue/fight with.  She's also one of the only people I don't hold a grudge against after the fight is over (Riah--sorry for holding you down and spitting on you when you were younger--I hope ou can forgive me).  She's the worst person to share a bed with (bed hog, covers hog, and "breathes deeply") but I'd gladly share one with her anyday if it means I could see her.  She is great at car trips--even when I am forcing her to hold a bag of sliced watermelon when the bag has a hole in it--except when I let her run the radio and we can't agree on which playlist/CD to listen to.  She has more "Dorothy" costumes than a Halloween store (and in various sizes--and a basket with a Pound Puppy) and can recite EVERY SINGLE LINE of Wizard of Oz from beginning to end.  She's one of the most musically gifted fools I've ever met, speaks French fluently, appreciates the old cartoon Recess, and keeps every secret I ever tell her.  She's the only visitor I've  had in NC that has visited more than once (I think it is 3 or 4 times?) and my Mom and I are the only visitors she had when she lived in France all of last year. 

The French Fam--Riah, Fred, Titouan, Steph & Manon
And while the kid is only 20 years old (she loves being reminded of the fact that she's still a kid....or not....), she is one of the bravest and strongest individuals I have ever met.  My parents (bless their hearts---oh, the joys of southern terms) were less than thrilled about the idea of Riah going overseas for a year--and who wouldn't be?!  It is far away from home, she knew nobody there, and it was costly.  While this is an experience that most of us would love to have but never take because we are chickens, Riah took it head on!!  She had the best year of her life and found "family" in a "new home."  I suppose if I have to share my sister with somebody, they are the ones!  So this kid is no  Cowardly Lion, that's for sure!
So there you have it, folks:  Sister of the Year award goes to Ri.  Or, as we like to say it: Riah geth the thithter of the year award, folkth--yes, we think lisping is fun, but even more fun to type out!


Cousins!  Lexie, La, Riah, Spencer
I also should add that Riah is going to do a 5k on the marathon day and is coming down from WI to see me.  Even though she wouldn't come to Elkhorn to pick me up (JERK!), she's still the best sister ever.  Best one I've ever had, anyway!!  And yes, she is available for rent, but not until she gets her butt back down here to visit again soon.  20 days till our race, Thithter!  XOXO

No comments: