Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

As a country, I think we've become more focused on what is important and on the challenges we face. Focused on our national identity. And focused on the world beyond our borders -- after years of looking ever-inward, Americans are once again looking outward, in a way I haven't seen since the height of the Cold War. While no one would ever say that September 11 was in any way a good thing, these developments may ultimately prove to be healthy for a democratic nation such as ours, one that wields such great influence and power on the world stage but one that is, as we have learned in such a hard way, still vulnerable to those who hate us. - Dan Rather

As everyone that I have come across has spent time today remembering the single greatest American tragedy in my lifetime, I figure today's blog should be nothing less.

I, too, recall where I was when I found out what happened.  Asleep in my bed, Res 107 at Wartburg College.  The phone rang and it was my roommate's Mother.  I was so annoyed because on my Tuesday/Thursday classes, I didn't have to be up until about 10:55 in order to make it to my 11:00 class on time.  Instead, the phone was ringing far too early.  Brooke's Mom told us to turn on the television to the Today show.  I was certain that it was going to be some stupid celebrity or maybe a new fashion for the fall--and that my sleep was being disrupted for this.  Instead, I heard Brooke gasp and say "Oh my God, Laura, what is going on."  I rolled over and looked at the TV.  I was in shock. 

We ran to the living room where one of the roommates had already turned on the TV--and the others of us gathered--8 of us in all--sitting on the black futon and the green/beige checkered sofas, watching it the building burn as a plane had flown into it.  Within minutes, we saw the second one hit.  We were all speechless.

I used to hold a group in the mornings before school on 9/11 when I lived in Iowa.  I played a whole CD of 9/11 songs and let the kids journal the entire time.  This is the one that has been the most--I don't even know what word to use--impressing upon me? 



While visiting a friend's church today, the Pastor asked us to imagine what it would be like to have been running into the twin towers when they were on fire--the city under attack--and you run in never knowing if you were to come out.  And the bravery of the individuals on Flight 93, with one man's last recorded words as "You guys ready?  Let's roll." 

Courage is not the absence of fear, but acting in the presence of fear. 

Despite the ugliness, loss and destruction of that day, a new patriotism arose out of America and brought a nation divided back together. This is what should be remembered of 9/11--that in the darkness, goodness still prevailed.

This is a commercial I watched this morning that had me in tears--not just because it was so emotional, but it was all about recognizing those who serve others every day, and that the city and the people are rebuilding.

No comments: