Sunday, September 25, 2011

21

When the night has come and the land is dark and the moon is the only light we'll see, I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid just as long as you stand, stand by me.  -Ben E. King

When you think about the vastness of this earth, the population of the globe, and the absolutely minuscule possibility that my life should cross paths with others--my head could nearly explode.  .00000014% chance that I should meet any one individual--much less the individual who has been my longest friend, Amy. 

Amy & La, Summer 2010
We met when my family moved to Elkhorn, so I'd say when I was about 4 or 5.  I'm fairly certain that our Moms were in a baby-sitting coop together and we went to the same church.  I remember playing with Amy when I was little, and I most certainly remember when her house burned down (her family reports that this did not happen, but that a neighbor's house had a fire....).  I also remember my Mother trying every angle to get me to eat vegetables (and I still won't eat them), including "You know, Amy eats her vegetables."  The best stories of us happened when we became much closer when we were in high school.


Amy & Brooklyn
High school is a tough time for every teenager, and I was no exception.  I believe my senior year, I had 6 of my 8 classes with Amy, so at least I had a reason to show up for class!  She and I also did choir together and the plays/musicals, as well as driving to school together and sitting at the same lunch table.  There are so many details of our friendship--most of which she documented and attempts to remind me of because I forgot to much, but the one that is the most important:  Amy is always there for me.  When I was younger, she'd give me her Nature Valley granola bars for lunch & remind me about every test we had coming up.  Now that I'm older, she picks me up at the airport when I fly into town & checks in (despite her insanely busy schedule) regularly with me & my running progress.  Amy has known me from beginning to now and despite the stupid choices I've made, the selfish times I've had, and the insanity I've exposed her to, she has never once let me down.

This year brought about a significant life change for Amy.  She and her husband had their baby girl, Brooklyn, who is the most miraculously beautiful little girl I've ever seen--in pictures.  Less from 3 weeks from  now, I get to see her live!!  I know how incredibly lucky that baby girl is because she has the most thoughtful, loving, and dedicated Mother that the earth has ever known.

Amy Danielle, you have always been the constant in my life and I hope you know how much that has always meant to me.  :)

No comments: