Tuesday, September 20, 2011

26

There's no place like home except Grandma's. -Unknown

Pay no attention to the trash can or people in the door
How cute are they?
For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting my Grandparents, allow me to introduce them to you today.  Mark & Bev Jones of Albert Lea, MN have been my proud grandparents since the day I was born.  Gramma still has a pin hanging in the kitchen that says "I have a grand daughter born in Winona, MN" that she got from the hospital on the day I was born. 

There are few people more excited than I am for my upcoming marathon--and Gramma and Grampa are 2 of them.  They have already rented their hotel room and have RSVP'ed for the pasta dinner we are going to at Latin King in Des Moines.  When I called Gram to invite her and Gramp to the dinner, she was out of breath expressing her excitement, letting me know that she was "tickled pink!"   

Gram's house--all of my friends think it is haunted!
I, however, do not.  :)
One of the hardest things about living in NC is being so far away from their home.  I went to college less than 2 hours from their home (I grew up 5 hours away from it), so I could literally jump in the car and drive up to see them anytime.  Now, I have to buy a plane ticket--which is not cheap!  My first fall here, I was so down and out at Thanksgiving.  I got to spend the holiday with my cousins and their family in VA, which was fabulous, but I believe it was the first Thanksgiving I hadn't spent with my Grandparents--or at least the first one I remember (which makes it the first, right?!).  Check out their house here.  It was built in the 1860's by my great-great-great grandfather, Albert Wedge, and has been in the family ever since.  It is even on the historic registry! 

Grampa is a history buff, which is the only reason I know that about the house--or can literally draw a family tree for you going back to that generation.  He can also tell you anything there is to know about World War II, trains, and if you drop him in the middle of nowhere blindfolded, I guarantee you that he can point to north and find his way out without the use of a GPS.  The man IS a GPS--only he never has to recalculate.  He does not know how to make a cup of coffee or use a microwave, but when the man here's a good joke, his high pitched laughter is enough to make anybody join in.  He also checks the forecast every day where I live to know what kind of weather I am having.  

During the visit to NC
Gramma is the lovingest lover of them all.  It is impossible to pass by her without a hug or a pat on the butt, and don't even try to enter her house without leaving stuffed--she will make some sort of meal for you and send you with leftovers, in addition to whipping up a batch of cookies (we all prefer the Christmas wreath ones!).  She will also teach you anything there is to know about Norwegian culture (primarily food and the use of the phrase "Oof da"), table settings, and always has tabs on all of the family updates. 

Gram & Gramp came down to visit me last winter on their way back up to MN during their "down South" trip.  I had a bunch of friends over and Megan cooked dinner for everybody.  They were both so excited to see the house and meet all of my buddies here.  They also hosted several overnights with my friends in college when we would take a weekend to go up and stay for some G&G TLC.  Every time I talk to them on the phone now, Gram asks me about every single one of them that she met and how they are all doing.  How sweet is that?  And my Midwest friends, in return, text me each time they pass the Albert Lea exit to tell me they are waving at Gramma and Grampa for me. 

"Rue Beverly," or Beverly Street
in France--for Gram!
Last spring, I had the opportunity to go to France to visit my little sister with my Mom.  Riah and I made it our mission to ensure that we got a full report every day on everything we did, ate, and experienced so we could share them with Gramma and Grampa, who had given money to all of us for the trip because at 80-some years old, they are too old to make the trip themselves.  Upon returning, I put together a photo album with captions on every page so that they knew every meal we ate, every hotel we stayed at, and everything we did each day.  The voicemail I got from my Gramma at the end of it was priceless.

My Grandparents are the greatest ever--and the cutest ever.  If you haven't met them before, let's make it happen.  And if you have, you already know how great they are and how lucky I am to have them in my life.  They have supported me from the day I was born and still do today.  I am so glad that they will be in Des Moines for my race and will be thinking of them as I run!

No comments: