Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Helping Hand

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. -Hebrews 13:2

After a 4th and 5th stranger approached me today for assistance, I decided that it was clearly necessary for today's post to be about helping others.  The irony of helping others today was that at no point did I seek out others to help, which I often do.  Instead, I did nothing, but apparently was looking friendly enough to be approachable.  I did check at one point to see if I was wearing a name badge or something because it was so strange that it happened!!

I started the morning off at the gym--as I do most mornings, and 3 different individuals approached me to inform me that the class we were in was their first class.  I introduced myself to all 3 and reinforced that they would do just fine in class.  I remembered when I was a newbie in classes how nerve-wracking it was, and I gave these folks kudos just for showing up, much less seeking out help!  Throughout the class, I assisted them, provided positive encouragement and made sure that they were equipped, prepared and feeling supported.

I then went from the gym to the gas station to fill up--and while doing so, a car pulled up with 2 women who were lost and needed help.  I don't know my way around NC at all, but my handy-dandy Carmen the Garmin sure does!  So I helped them get back on the road and headed in the right direction.

By no means do I herald myself as a hero for helping others today, but I sure remember the experiences in which a stranger helped me and it made all the difference to me. 

I challenge everyone to do some random act of kindness to a complete stranger tomorrow--and recognize how your act impacts another!

No comments: