Friday, July 29, 2011

Zumba madness!!

The journey between who you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place.  - Barbara De Angelis

For those who missed the memo, I am a white girl.  See exhibit A to the right--straight up white girl.  Within my whiteness, there are several truths that I hold to be self-evident:  I can't wear the color yellow, I can't rap (even if I try), and I SURE can't dance.  My sister, of the same biological make-up, does wear yellow, doesn't rap, and can move like she was adopted from somewhere south of the border.  How does this happen?  I have yet to figure it out, but again--it is a truth that is self-evident. 
Despite this final truth, I decided several months ago to try a crazy thing I had heard about, Zumba class.  You may recall a brief entry about this several weeks ago.  I was terrified of this--I was born into a musical family and I am rhythmic, but somehow my musical fingers have not spread their abilities to anything else in my body--namely my hips.  Give me a guitar, I can strum it--a drum, I can beat it--heck, I can sing anything (but won't sing country!).  But put on a dance CD and my butt won't leave the chair.  Ask any friends or relatives who have gotten married in the last 29 years--I am a great benchwarmer!!

Have I made my point yet about my inability to dance?  The image of a 90 year old doing hopscotch is less painful than the idea of me dancing. 

Don't be fooled--she may look white but they don't
call her "LaTina" for nothin'!
So the day I tried Zumba, I went in with a LOT of self-talk:  don't worry about anybody else; just focus on the instructor's feet; if it is awful it will only last 55 minutes; if nothing else, you will sweat and get in some cardio.  When I walked out of the class, I had fallen in love.  Not only did I sweat (as was the goal) and did some cardio, I had a good time!!  The music was fun & loud--and in the few seconds I looked around at the others, most of them couldn't dance either--but we were all having fun!! 

Who can rock sweats?
TINA!
In my marathon training, Coach Lynn has warned me that I may have to scale back on some of my other workouts because of the amount of running I will have to do throughout the week and the recovery time my body may need.  I DREAD the thought of this, but have already told myself that the weights class can be scaled back (not deleted) and Zumba won't go.  I make time each week to go.  The face I started with has changed--now it is my girl Tina who rocks every class with the biggest smile on her face.  She also hooked me up with some free passes so anybody who wants to give it a shot next Wednesday morning, hit me up!  I am going to make my way up to Breakin' Out in Greensboro, as well.

For those who are not from the Triad, please consider hitting up a class somewhere in your area--I am certain you will walk out at least having had fun.  And my advice about watching the feet--totally true!!  I've been going to Tina's class for a month now and can FINALLY look at something other than her feet the entire class.  It takes time, but you'll get a good work out and will have fun.  And it isn't like trying to go dancing at the club--it isn't a meat market, it is a class!!  Check out the video: 
So what are you waiting for--get out and give it a try--let me know how it went & if you're headed back anytime soon!!

4 comments:

MJW said...

Incorrect - I cannot wear yellow. Only mustard yellow, and only in summer when I'm tan. Red, however, is totally off-limits.

bt said...

Laura you're a white girl?

JJAmes said...

I've always wanted to try that!!!!!!! i MUST try it now!!!! You go girl!!!!

La said...

Riah--you can. I can't even do mustard yellow.

Bridget--Yup--white as they come!! But I can keep up with Eminem's lyrics..does that mean anything?!

Jen--DO IT! I PROMISE you will love it!!