Thursday, July 21, 2011

Eat Your Wheaties!

You can only come to the morning through the shadows.  -J.R.R. Tolkien

As I woke up this morning, rolling my butt out of bed at 6:45 to get ready for a HOT morning of speed work, I realized what a fan of mornings I am NOT.  I may enjoy them more if I got a few more hours of sleep at night, but sometimes that which keeps us awake is more exciting than sleeping.  Such is the case for me, undoubtedly!

However, I cannot function throughout the day remaining upset with the world for having mornings, so I must quickly choose the attitude of surviving the morning.  Of course, we were always told to eat our Wheaties.  I must confess that I have never eaten Wheaties, though I am a fan of Kashi Go-Lean Crunch (SO DELICIOUS!) and peanut butter English muffins with bananas.  Sometimes breakfast is the only reason I peel my body out of my bed. 

A breakfast in France!  Breads, jams, cheese
applesauce, yogurt, cheese!!

I firmly believe that when a strong foundation is built, it can hold and support anything.  With that idea in mind, I work to be sure that my mornings are the strong foundation that will support the rest of my day.  This not only includes a breakfast, but making sure that my morning routine is what I need to start the day out on the right foot.  I make sure to check my email, have breakfast, put away the dry dishes in the sink, catch the weather report, make sure that my bags are packed for the gym and work, and knock out a few push ups.  I enjoy a little solitude in the morning to help me "get my head in the game."  My morning also frequently includes music to energize me and get  my brain firing. 

Coffee, I'm sure, is a vice to many of my readers.  I am guessing many of you skip breakfast (if you need a lecture about this, let me know).  Maybe you start the morning out with your spouse or children, or a nice hot shower (I do shower but not until after I've worked out).  Perhaps your morning includes a walk with the dogs or a Skype session to a daughter in Spain.  Or a lengthy appointment with the mirror as you apply your make-up and fix your hair (that's for you Heids!). 

Most importantly for me, I choose an attitude about the day.  Even when I have "a case of the Mondays," I work diligently to ensure I have a good day, both by the self-talk I use and by reaching out to others to greet them and wish them a good day. 

So what do you need to start your day out strong?  Please post them here as others may like ideas about starting their mornings out similarly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't need anything ... I'm always happy in the morning! No, I'm lying, it's not the "need" for something ... it's just to know I'm still here, that I'm having a good life, that I have a husband I love and that I have my family around me and that I have many friends I love.
That's what I need in the morning ... :-)
Isa