Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Keep running, running, running

In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that.  -Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder

Please know that today's entry is NOT a plug for everybody to start running.  Running is my drug, but it doesn't have to be yours.  If you like playing volleyball, soccer,  hiking, skiing, whatever it is, do that.  But I have gotten LOTS of questions about running.  The beauty of running is that ANYONE can run--if you have lungs, 2 feet, and a heart--you can make it happen.  I have heard many say that they have bad knees or are overweight or any of those things--but the truth is that running will help with both of those things.  And obviously, check with your doctor before you start ANY exercise routine.

See the doc before you start--
I have to be taped to run!!
So to first prep for running, make sure you have the proper materials.  All it takes is a pair of shoes and whatever clothes you'd like to run in.  If you have the cash, I would highly advise that you go to a running-specific store and ask the employees there to observe your gait and ensure that you are getting a shoe that properly supports your feet/gait as to minimize the trauma to your body that pounding your feet can do.  Additionally, I do suggest that you check out sweat-wicking clothing.  You can head to a sports store and buy them there, but you can also check out Wal-Mart (the devil) or Target.  I am a fan of the C2 clothing by Champion at Target.  I wear a sweat-wicking sports bra, tank top, shorts, and socks.  This helps to minimize chafing and keep you cool.  Depending on the weather near you and the distance you are going to run, you may also want to get a water bottle.  You can just use a plastic bottle that you already have, or you could buy any of the new contraptions they have for runners (bottles that strap to your waist, back and hands).  Last prep item, for those who are chafers (I AM!) is to purchase some anti-chafing products.  I use Body Glide--it looks like a stick of deodorant.  There are other products out there, as well, and if you can't afford this, you can simply use Vaseline.  This is far messier than the other products, but is a cheaper alternative.  I don't believe you need to spend a single dollar on running if you don't want to--you can wear old tennies & old clothes, but for myself, strapping on all these items just puts me in the MOOD to run!!

From here, you just need a training plan.  I know many people who have used the Couch to 5k Program, which is very effective.  In a matter of 8 weeks, you can be ready to do a 5k.

A couple other pointers--if you are running in this heat--bring plenty of water, know the signs of heat stroke and know that it is okay to walk/cool down.  I enjoy running with my IPOD but it greatly decreases your awareness of what is going on around you and makes you a target to any "bad guys" out there, so be aware of that--or run with only one ear bud in.  Pick a good time/place to run--a shady trail/road and not during mid-day when the temps are highest.  And know that some days when you run, it feels great--others, you just do it to get it over with.  In the end, you still get the run done, and you are becoming a REAL RUNNER!  And it always helps to run with a friend.  I'm looking forward to a hot date this weekend where a non-runner is starting a new chapter called "running."  Even as a more advanced runner, it fills me with sheer excitement to see a friend trying this out!!

Good luck to everybody who wants to start some running.  Please comment below to let us know if the C25k has worked for you or for someone you know. 

2 comments:

Miss said...

I'm starting C25K this weekend and have signed up for my first 5K on 10/22. I'll let you know how this thing called "running" works out for me!

La said...

Do it up, girl--you're going to do great!! If you are running while pushing a jogging stroller, you get extra credit--especially if it is a double!! I saw 6 moms at the park yesterday pushing jogging strollers--some running, some walking--but they all stopped & did lunges off the strollers together. So sweet & impressive!!