Monday, July 4, 2011

Motivation 101, Part 1.

People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing—that’s why we recommend it daily. -Zig Ziglar

In considering what topics individuals may want to read about, I thought I’d go with one of the ones that I am asked most often. “How do you do it?” Most often this question is a reference to what I eat & what I do to work out. However, I find those to be only a minor part of the transformation I have made. For those who are not aware, I have spent the last year and a half working to transform myself inside and out. Most people see the 100 pound weight loss. Those who know me best see the internal transformation as well.  Perhaps a couple photos will help you see the external changes.
June 2009
The differences in these photos are many--but each of those differences comes down to one thing--motivation.  I had to have the internal desire to make those changes and the belief that those changes could happen.  So for myself, I have a lot of motivators.  I had to identify my goals for my future--doing foster care, liking myself, shopping in the non-plus-size section, not losing my breath when I run after little kids.  From there I had to identify ways I can motivate myself--surround myself with people who will support these ideas, track small progress so I can feel validated, and enlisting support from those who can guide me in the right direction.
 
April 2011

For those who are interested in working to start changes--any change at all, I highly encourage you to touch base with your motivations. I recently read "Unlimited:  How to Build an Exceptional Life" by Jillian Michaels.  You can pick it up at Target for about $20 or head out to your local library to pick up a copy.  The entire first several chapters is about how to create motivation.  It offered some really excellent workbook exercises and ideas to help you think about your goals and to make them so realistic in your mind that you can see them, hear them, taste them, feel them, smell them.  So, for example, if your goal is to go on a date, that's a good starting ground....but make it detailed.  Picture the date--where will you be?  What can you see?  Colors?  Other people?   What about sounds, sights, smells?  Paint a VERY vivid picture in your mind and recall it often--daily at least--to help keep you on track for your goals. 
 
Motivation is a lot more than that, but that's the very first step in that direction.  And it only takes one step to get you going.  I think from here on out, Monday's posts will be Motivation Monday, so we can really work to explore ways to get/stay motivated toward goals.  We'll give it a shot for the next few weeks and see how it goes.  Feel free to post about your goals!!  I'd love to hear them. 
 
Hope you are all enjoying a great 4th of July and seeing some fantastic fireworks tonight. 
 
Also, My little sis is in the photos with me--isn't she great?  And yes, she does own clothes other than stripes but these were the best shots of me.  :)  



1 comment:

ElisabethVi said...

I love that your smile has changed, not just in these photos, but in many, many recent ones. You are an inspiration and one of my motivators. Physical change is just one benefit, it's the internal changes that matter a lot.
As for my goals...
My next goal is to ride about 78 miles in the mountains. The funny part is that I'm not scared of the hill climbs. It's the descent that terrifies me. My goal is to relax on the downhill portions. This is a HUGE hurdle for me. I keep trying to visualize myself (dressed in my pink and black cyclist kit with my pink "Hottie" socks)cruising down the mountain passes with a light touch on the brakes, drinking in the mountain air, following nice,easy lines around curves, and taking in the beautiful view. I have a month of pracice left. We'll see how it goes. Final test will be on August 6th.

Keep kicking toward your goals. I'm so glad you thrive on running.
I hear it's awesome. :-)
Amy