Wednesday, July 20, 2011

You've Got a Friend

A friend is one who loves you and loves you anyway.  -Elbert Hubbard

We have reached hump day, everybody, which means the weekend is in sight.  It also means I am closer to a 14 mile run on Saturday in weather that is forecasted to be 98 degrees (and Midwesterners love referencing the heat index--so I used an online heat index calculator to discover that the heat index will be 131 degrees).  I tell you this all to say that in case you never hear from me again after Saturday, it is likely because I am laying on the pavement of the Greenway and slowly frying.  Only kidding--I will be going out QUITE early and will be prepared with extra liquids & will take extra walk breaks, as needed.

Look at these hotties--getting ready for hill repeats!
Anyway, onto today's topic--friends.  I'm not sure if any of you missed the memo, but I have the most amazing friends in the world. And I don't say that in an attempt to compete with you--just to make it clear.  I live 1000 miles away from some of my best friends, and this distance is not evident in our relationships.  I also have developed an amazing group of friends here--the kind that can call and make me laugh about a zucchini, provide therapy and a reality check when I need it, say "we" can take on a challenge rather than "you," and the kind that offer to make me dinner on Friday before I have to run 14 miles.  Yeah, my friends could not get any greater.

With as much running as I have to do throughout the week (during the week, I run 3 times, 3-6 miles each--then on Saturdays I run 6-20 miles, depending on what that week's training calls for), I have to figure out ways to keep myself motivated & focused.  I have found that running with a friend makes it SOOOO much more tolerable.  I do enjoy some solo runs, but I enjoy 1-2 runs a week with a companion.  This Monday was no exception.  My Zumba-loving, Boston-accent-speaking, life-living friend, Tina, was up for the run and went with me.  It was in the 90's and I was dying physically, but it felt great to sweat with a friend, and to get to know a great person.  I have either begun or helped to grow relationships with about a dozen friends at this point. 

I'm not suggesting that everyone needs to pick up running to make friends--but I am telling you that having friends makes the world go 'round, and they are a great way to keep at your goals.  It also provides an additional form of accountability.  I know that when I run with friends, I walk less, keep a better pace, and am less focused on "getting it over with" and more focused on enjoying the moment. 
This blog is not intended to make everybody a runner, but I do hope that people will explore the satisfaction that comes from being active.  This morning, I will be hitting up a weights class & doing Zumba--the instructors of both classes are my friends and I'll be surrounded by other people and it makes these activities much more fun.
Pres, Walmart & La after their 10k & my first half
So give it a try!!  And share with us here about how an activity became more enjoyable because of a friend that joined you for it.  And really--can you just share something?!  My stats tell me that I had 55 page views yesterday--and ZERO comments.  I'd appreciate it if I could get a few comments per day!!

Also--a reminder that I'm looking for submissions for Saturday's SUPERSTAR post.  I have gotten many comments/emails from people about how they will submit sometime but that they have to do something Superstar-like first.  I am here to tell you, my friends, that every single one of you has done something that makes you a SUPERSTAR.  Did you decide to run a lemonade stand when you were 10 and put your profits toward a charity?  Did you climb a ladder, despite your fear of heights?  Did you take your family to Romania to hold babies? Did you take on a challenge to plant a garden?  Did you find the courage to go back to school after you had been out for years?  Seriously, SUPERSTARS are all around us, so PLEASE send me your submissions--you never know how your story could inspire someone else.  Looking at it that way, wouldn't it be selfish of you NOT to send your submission in?  Hit me up with it here, folks:  laura_anne_82@hotmail.com


Happy Hump Day!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are proud of you, La! Love, Your Frniece and Frnephew

Heidi said...

Love that you are doing all this! Is this the same lump who wanted a room to herself at Emerging Leaders? The amazing person I got to know those 6 days is out there for all to see. Keep inspiring and being amazing.
Your huge stalking fan in Iowa!
xoxoxo
Heidi

La said...

Sweet T & Sissy---I love you back always!!

Heids--now that I know that this stalking is real, I will expect comments & submissions--and if you do them, I will even post your submission in PINK! That weekend was a small glimpse into all of my endless abilities--this is the full-time deal! XOXO