Monday, July 25, 2011

Motivation 101, Part 4

"Nothing is so infectious as an example."  - Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Motivation Monday, my friends, has returned yet again!!  Today's concept is a seemingly easy one (for me anyway) and one I don't think will come with too much homework for you.  

I remember when we were young, we were taught that their are leaders and followers.  I have grown up and now found that there is another category--role models. I could spend days on end talking about leadership, but today we will talk about modeling.  Leaders are those who forge ahead and take others with them.  Role models move alongside you, hand in hand for each step of the journey.

As stubborn and opinionated I am, I have learned through many, many wasted arguments that there is a slim chance I will ever convince anyone of a different opinion/perspective through my words, but instead through my example.  Since losing my weight and becoming a fitness junkie, I have many people ask me what they need to do, eat, etc., in order to lose weight.  While I can have a discussion with them, I'd much rather do it with them--go for a walk, look through their kitchens and help identify some new foods they can try, even discuss the fears they have about losing weight.

Seriously--this man has GOT to be
Superhuman.  Check out his site
 right here.
Think about role models you have had in your life and the qualities of theirs that you admired and tried to absorb.  When we have a role model, we believe we can do/become all that we see them as.  Dean Karnazes ran across the USA earlier this year--so when I think about whether or not I can run all 26.2 miles, I remember that he did more than that every day.  Many people enjoy watching Biggest Loser because all of us can relate to the individuals on that screen--whether we are overweight or not--we see someone who has a dream and wants to make changes and struggles in their ability to accomplish it. 

So today, I want you to think about the goal or goals you have outlined and find a role model who has done it--has been through that challenge and made it.  If we know someone else did it, it becomes more believable that we can, as well.  If you are trying to quit smoking, think of people whom you know who have quit.  If you are going to become a triathlete, find another person who is one who can help show you the ropes.  Often our role models may be a little out of reach (Jillian Michaels, anyone?!), so while those role models are still great examples, it is often helpful to have one that you can call up on the phone and talk to for some pointers.

Please comment below about who your role model is and what he/she is motivating you to do.  And know that you may be someone else's role model--giving back for that which has been given to you.

I hope everybody had a weekend that was as great as mine, and that you are all feeling motivated from the inside out! 

3 comments:

bt said...

This is awesome! I can totally relate to what you said about leaders forging ahead and taking others with them. I believe it's SO important to lead by example and let your actions do the talking. Side note: I bet that dude we see at the park all the time could run across the U.S.! :)

La said...

I think that dude DOES run across the U.S. Every time we see him, he's hit one coast and is hitting the other!! Leading my example is critical--glad you do it well!! :)

bt said...

So do you, my dear! Butt'r up those feet and keep on keepin' on xo