Friday, August 19, 2011

Tap this.

If your teeth are clenched and your fists are clenched, your lifespan is probably clenched.  -Terri Guillemets
Today is a total therapy post--so for those who are not interested in therapy talk, peace out!  For those who are, you've come to the right place!!

We will be learning about a technique called EFT, Emotional Freedom Technique.  Before I explain it because it sounds kind of hokey, I am going to share 2 success stories using EFT that I myself have witnessed.

The first is about a young boy who was on a lot of medication to assist him with hyperactivity and violent anger outbursts.  His parents decided that while he was living in our residential facility, he should go off of his medication cold turkey.  While we were not in support of this decision, they were his legal guardians and it had to be supported until legal action could be taken.  The staff members were very unhappy about this as this boy was already becoming violent and locked in the safety room (for the safety of himself and others) on a regular basis--at least daily.  He was working with an AWESOME counselor at the time (not me--though the story would be cooler if it were) who had heard about EFT.  She took the time to learn about it, then trained the boy to use it and the staff to reinforce it.  While he had gone off all his medications and was still experiencing anger regularly, he was able to reduce situations of going to the safety room to only several times a week.

Another story is about a 17 year old boy I was working with.  He was the kind of kid who did not explode with anger, but rather seemed to implode--the kind we had to keep a close eye on for fear that he may some day hurt himself when he was not being closely watched.  One day, he and I were talking and he got some bad news.  I saw him get angry in the flash of an eye.  We were sitting next to a wall that was all glass windows--and I could see him just getting ready to leap out of his skin.  I quickly assessed myself (I was calm and able to maneuver through the situation), the environment (all glass windows--he could hurt himself and do some serious property damage), and himself (he was angry as all get out).  I quickly encouraged him to use his EFT techniques and he would not--so instead, I approached him and began doing the tapping for him, repeating his statements.  Literally, within 2 minutes he was yawning and stated that he needed to go to bed because he was so tired.  He went from ready to run through a wall of glass to ready to nap in 120 seconds.

Because I can't explain it nearly as well as the pros, enjoy the video below.  If you are looking for more information, check out this website where you can click on "get started for free" and download a book to walk you through this step-by-step.  There are lots of other youtube videos out there, as well, so search and tap away. 




Have a great weekend!  I haven't received any Saturday submissions so I will be taking tomorrow off.  18 miles for me tomorrow--hope you get to do something as exciting!!

No comments: