Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Motivation 101, Part 7

It is important that you recognize your progress and take pride in your accomplishments. Share your achievements with others. Brag a little. The recognition and support of those around you is nurturing. -Rosemarie Rossetti

Happy Tuesday, readers.  I realized yesterday that I missed Motivation Monday because I was so excited about sweating it out.  So I will post it a day late (and a buck short) this morning instead!!

I know I have spoken a little bit before about the difference between sharing an accomplishment and bragging.  For those who know me, I am really good at doing both!!  But as we work to identify and stay motivated to reach goals, it is critical that we are honest about our progress toward our goals.  While achieving a goal makes me already feel a significant sense of accomplishment, celebrating alone seems like a silly thing to do.  We have weddings surrounded by our friends and family.  We have birthday parties with our loved ones.  When we are expecting a baby, we have showers--not alone--but again with lots of people.  So why would we celebrate an accomplishment alone?

Is it too much to ask for a party
every time I accomplish something?
While I would love for someone to throw me a party or put together a parade every time I accomplish a goal or a landmark on the way to my goal, it is not likely and may be even a little much.  Just a little.  However, when I do reach a goal or a landmark, I am quick to call those who have supported me in my efforts to share the progress--and I expect them to do the same.  After all, if a friend of mine has devoted time to work toward a goal and I wasn't notified of the achievement, I do think I would be hurt!! 

More than even just sharing with someone an accomplishment, it is okay to surround yourself with it.  Take a picture to commemorate the event.  Write a poem or a song about it.  If you are given an award or a medal, display it for others to see.  Reminding ourselves with these accomplishments will continue to motivate us.  Sharing our accomplishments with others helps them to continue supporting us, and to be a part of our own internal celebration.

Please take time today to contact somebody about an accomplishment you have recently made.  This doesn't have to be anything life-changing.  Did you go through the day with one less cigarette than usual?  Did you eat one more vegetable than usual?  Did you do one extra rep during your tricep workout?  Did you make it to another day of sobriety?  Did you walk a block further than usual?  SHARE this accomplishment with someone and allow others to be excited with you.

No comments: