Monday, August 8, 2011

Motivation 101, Part 6

History is the record of an encounter between character and circumstances.  -Donald Creighton

Another weekend behind us, my friends, and only 69 days until my big race!  I finally bit the bullet last night and registered for it AND bought the plane ticket to fly back.  It was a nerve-wracking experience, but it is a part of history now!!

Today's motivational subject is about writing it down.  Now, this can be a 2-part way to motivate yourself:

1.  You can take the time to organize your plans for the coming week or month.  This can be related to money planning, food planning, a workout plan, maybe a plan of time for yourself or with a special someone, or maybe to learn a new instrument or a new hobby.
2.  Log what you completed.  If you planned to take 30 minutes to go for a walk, log that it was completed.

This sounds like a very easy concept--and here's the secret--IT IS!  It is another way to keep us accountable, I find that if I wake up with a plan each day, I get those things done--or I'm more likely to get them done than if I wake up and just try to "wing it."  You know several of my other tricks--making those plans with  a friend so I'm less likely to cancel, planning my schedule around this, etc.  For example, I wanted to run today before I went to the gym at 8:30, so I knew I'd have to get up early.  I'm not a fan of waking up early EVER, but especially for a simple 3 mile run.  So by making plans with a friend to run, I knew I'd have my butt up on time--and it worked!! 

I have a friend that texts me her workout accomplishments each week and is now planning to keep a food log for me.  I didn't ask her to do this, but just shared with her that writing it down often helps--and she has found that by "turning it into me," that it keeps her more accountable.  So as you are continuing to focus on your goals, surrounding yourself with reminders and supporters of these goals, and working toward these goals, try writing it down to help you out!!

So, again, sound off--have you written it down before?  Does it help?  What do you log? 

Enjoy the first day of a new week!! 

No comments: