Thursday, August 4, 2011

Playlist

Where words fail, music speaks. -Hans Christian Anderson

Just a portion of the supplies: Fuel belt,
Road ID (emergency contact info), gels/beans,
water bottles, and a watch.  Not pictured: phone,
coolers, ice packs,extra water bottles, Nuun
(hydration product), shoes, anti-chafing products,
running shorts/socks/shoes/sports bra/
running tank, bandanas, deodorant etc!!!
Saturday, I will be doing a 16 mile run.  For those who are not aware of how far that is, that's 84,480 feet, 1,013,760 inches, or a really long distance.  At the pace my coach has asked me to run at, it should take me about 208 minutes (3 hrs and 28 minutes).  There is a lot of work that goes into these runs--and the entire week is a preparation for this run.  I have to watch everything I eat all week, to ensure it is food that is going to be agreeable with my system and is going to create the fuel I need to make these runs.  I have to go to bed early to ensure I've had enough sleep all week long. I spend time mapping out my route, combining that with figuring out when I will meet up with friends who are going to do several miles with me throughout the run.  I spend time packing supplies for the run (hydration products, making water bottles, packing ice, getting my carb sources) and the morning of the run, I drop coolers along my route so I can replenish my supplies at various points throughout the run.  I get up early on Saturday to get on all my gear, put my hair up in such a way that my hair won't be glued to my neck when I run, put on my anti-chafing products, and eat a breakfast to top off the carbs that I will need pre-run. During the run, there is the obvious work of doing the running, but also math to check my pace, figure out when I need to be hydrating and carbbing as to not go overboard or underboard on either--especially when it is 100 degrees outside.  And then checking in with "my people" every mile so they know I'm safe & haven't keeled over during the run!!  Thanks to M&M and Dozer for making sure I'm safe. 

The best $50 I ever spent
With all of these details in place, one of the most critical steps in the running prep is getting the IPOD ready.  3 and a half hours of running is a LONG time, and in order to keep myself moving consistently throughout, keeping some good beats is necessary!  My playlist is about 5 hours long at present time--I don't want to listen to the exact same songs every time.  Sometimes I enjoy a Glee song, others some angry songs, sometimes a song from one of my favorite musicals, sometimes a little R&B, and sometimes there is nothing that beats a good song you'd find on an oldies station.  The playlist is so eclectic that if anybody were to try to borrow the playlist, I'm sure only confusion would ensue.  From Disturbed to Wicked, Simon & Garfunkel to Justin Timberlake, Michael Jackson to Britney Spears--all of it creating the soundtrack of the run.

Music has always been a way of life for me.  A hobby.  A challenge.  A form of communication.  A way to make travelling on Fridays during rush hour more bearable.  And on long runs, it is a necessity to keep me moving and not staring at the inches, feet miles ticking by underneath my shoes.

What songs do you put on your playlist to keep you motivated?  I'm always looking for suggestions to add to my playlist and keep my feet moving!!

2 comments:

bt said...

I listen to Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method and Prodigy when I run. There's something about that electronica that keeps my feet going! Also a big fan of old Linkin Park and any pop from the 80s. GET IT GET IT DON'T STOP!!!

jmarek said...

these work for me EVERY TIME:

kick push by lupe fiasco

hip hop saved my life by lupe fiasco

ants go marching by dave matthews band

the plot by the white rabbits (great drum beat to get those feet up and off the ground)

super bass by nicki minaj (yeah, i said it)

good luck with your run. those serious long runs in training will make marathon day a piece of cake!