Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sweet Dreams!!

Sleep is the best meditation. -Dalai Lama

Good thing I chose to blog today about sleeping and chose not to post it until bedtime.  For those who are checking it out before bed, it is like your very own little night time story--er--blog.

As we talk about coping skills to help us deal with stress, let me be clear that I do not endorse sleeping as a way to cope with something--as it is actually not a coping technique when utilized as such--but instead, it is an avoidance technique.  I am bringing to you various topics to help you address your stressors, not avoid them.  So today's topic of sleep is about getting good sleep in order to assist you in feeling more rested and more capable of dealing with stressors.


My fave sleeping pic ever
I'm sure we have all had those days in which we did not get enough sleep, and as a result, EVERYTHING sets us off--things that may not normally.  I am not one who regularly sleeps well--I can't remember the last time I had 8 hours of sleep.  However, I know that when I am well-rested, I am definitely far better off at navigating the various challenges of the day.

Besides that, what are the benefits of sleep?  Getting enough sleep raises our metabolism.  Getting enough sleep reduces the risk for getting sick and keeps us physically healthy.  Getting enough sleep helps us have a better mood.  And it helps us make better decisions altogether.  On a note of vanity, it also keeps us looking better--I know I've entered the day with some owl eyes before!! 

This week, challenge yourself to get to bed a few minutes earlier than usual and see if you can feel any difference in your day/week.  I'm guessing that it will!!  Rest well, blogville peeps!!

No comments: