Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Downward dog

Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.  -Author Unknown
As I had quite a stressful work day yesterday and I looked ahead to today (a court hearing--the most stressful part of my job), I realized I needed to be preventative in nature to manage stress.  I needed to burn out my anxiety about the hearing before I got there, or it would be even more stressful.  I knew I wouldn't be entirely stress-free, but I knew I could work to bring my stress levels down.  I connected with a friend to sort out the gym schedule, and decided to get my rear end up at 5:00 so I could get to the gym by 6:15 for a yoga-like class.  It is called something different, but for the purposes of today's post, we are going to call it yoga (for the locals, it is Centergy at the Rush--also for the locals, I have free passes to it so let me know if you want to join me for a class sometime).

For those who don't know me or may  have forgotten, I am ANYTHING but a morning person.  I have had to get up early on Saturdays all summer long for the marathon training--when it is 100 degrees out by 11:00 AM, I want to be done well before that.  Since I've been getting up at 4:00 AM on Saturdays (I start at 6, those 2 hours are spent eating, packing, getting dressed and anti-chafed, and dropping coolers at various spots throughout my route), getting up at 5:00 AM today didn't seem too rough.  When I saw the warm, smiling  face of my instructor, I knew it was the right choice.  When I left class feeling more calm and centered about the most anxiety-provoking setting I experience, I was certain I would be returning to these classes again--even if they start before the sun has come up (side note:  The phrase "this hour is for the birds?"  It doesn't even apply here--it was BEFORE the hour for the birds because they were not even awake yet!!).  

As a runner, I use the class for 2 reasons:  stretching out my fatigued muscles & regaining focus on myself/my goals.  Obviously pounding my feet for 20 miles on Saturday is going to be a little rough on my joints and muscles.  About 40,000 strides will do a number on a body.  My hip flexors and IT band have been particularly out-of-whack lately.  By going to a yoga class, I can work to stretch out these muscles and continue to prepare myself mentally for the miles ahead of me this weekend, and in the race that is quickly approaching. 

In searching the other benefits of yoga, however, I found about 5 bazillion, but I will spare you that long list and go with a few of the top choices:
-It improves flexibility.
-Yoga improves strength.
-Yoga improves posture.
-It improves breathing--which as we recall from a previous post improves the ability to manage stress.
-Yoga helps to improve concentration and being "in the moment."
-Yoga helps to slow down heart rate and blood pressure, which helps to reduce risk for heart disease/heart attacks.

If you would like to read a list of the bazillion--I mean 77--benefits of yoga, feel free to check out this link.

For those who are intimidated by yoga, have no fear--just show up and give it a shot.  Everybody loses their balance and all beginners have NO flexibility.  I literally watched my 50-something instructor do the splits and lay her head on the ground today.  I am NOWHERE near that level of flexibility--and never will be.  But I will continue to work toward it anyway!! 

Just for the record, I was so calm & chillaxed after class (and a 2 mile run) that I went to court, was the calmest I've ever been in court, left court and was pulled over by a police officer, and didn't even sweat or shed a tear!  And yes, I got off with a warning--darn oxygen sensors keeping me from passing my state inspection....

Still taking submissions for Saturday, and reminding locals that if they want to do the T Dolla Bill/Autism 5k on September 17 or the Women's Only 5k to get signed up now!!

Namaste!!

No comments: