Monday, August 15, 2011

Sweat it out

Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.  -John F. Kennedy

Today, I enjoyed a nice low-cal iced coffee with a new friend after I'd already completed an hour long run and then an hour-long weights class.  She and I were visiting about the incredibly difficult biceps & shoulders tracks in the class this month.  She pointed out that with the various factors in her life that have left her angry/frustrated, she often thinks about these when getting to the difficult parts of these tracks and can use this anger as energy to keep her going in the class.  No wonder she's getting such toned arms!!

I can definitely identify that when I am angry, I feel an overwhelming rush of adrenaline and find that it is best channeled through physical activity.   In my sessions with kids with some significant displays of anger, I suggest to parents that when their son/daughter is escalating, send them outside to run sprints, or have them do push ups--this adrenaline will be burned off and we now reduce the likelihood that the child will become destructive with his/her anger. 

After running hills in the 90 degree weather...
Yep, I'd say we sweat it out.
Crizz--you can hate me now for posting this!!
Other emotions, as well, can be channelled emotionally. Often, those who are sad/depressed become reclusive and will become far less active.  Anyone with small children knows that when kids are anxious or excited, they have a LOT of energy that could stand to be burned off.  I also find that when running, I can think about a problem that's been on  my mind and an emotion associated with this situation, and through the running, I am able to not only keep myself motivated to run based upon this emotion, but use the running time to help me sort out my thoughts and emotions related to the situation.

Obviously, being active has endless health benefits:
Increases metabolism
Reduces risk of heart disease, diabetes, cholesterol
Increases production of endorphins
Improves one's appearance
And improves one's mental health

What are some physical activities that you enjoy?  Obviously, I'm a running freak and you've heard me talk about other physical activities I like--Zumba, lifting weights, etc.  But there are so may more!!  Biking, yoga, pilates, hiking, swimming, dancing, going for a walk, slacklining, strength training, using the machines at the gym, doing a video at home, volleyball, soccer---the list goes on and on!!  What type of physical activity do you like to do?  How do you use this as an outlet?  ABC, how was your race??

Also, as a reminder, we are still looking for folks to join us for the Autism 5k.  Check out this blog if you need a refresher about that.  Go Team T Dolla Bill!!

Happy Monday, folks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, obviously, my activity of choice is biking. Last week's Copper Triangle was amazing. The scenery was stunning, I felt strong, and I really enjoyed the company of my friends. And, I finished. It took quite a bit longer than expected, but one of the aid stations had port-a-potty lines that were 35 minutes long. (no joke!) I did almost cry at the top of Vail pass when the guys I was biking with joked about "one more climb" before the descent. Thankfully, they were just kidding. The descents were incredible. My top speed was 48 mph. I felt relaxed on the rapid descents and saw first hand how my training paid off. Keep working hard toward your goals. It's amazing when you accomplish difficult, physical events. It's motivating and, after recovery, you feel even stronger than before...more than just physically. Keep running!
ABC

La said...

ABC--soooo awesome to hear about!! I hope you have some pictures to commemorate the event. I can't imagine biking 48 miles an hour--I'd be terrified!! Aren't racers just supposed to pee on themselves?! JK--I will NEVER do that!! Congrats again--perhaps you're ready for a SUPERSTAR SATURDAY Submission???