Sunday, August 28, 2011

Positive Polly

Turns out its not where but who you're with that really matters. -Dave Matthews Band, "Best of What's Around."

A friend and I were running yesterday and were discussing how easy it is to become that with which you surround yourself.  This is the very message we give to our children because we know when the terrible teens come, all kids are nothing but followers and simply chameleon to their environment.  While this concept seems like a rather obvious one, how often do we choose to surround ourselves with that which does not help us?  I am guilty as charged!!  Misery loves company and we all know this cliche too well.  We have all met a Debbie Downer before, and the last thing I ever want to become is this very person...though she is rather funny on SNL: 



In the recent days, I have made a conscious effort to surround myself with people who make me feel nothing less than wonderful--making plans with a friend for dinner, movie and a sleepover, hitting up a local band, running with one of the most intelligent men I've met, putting in hours at the office with a good friend (turned boss), visiting a new church with some great music, texting with my lifelong hero and 5-paragraph-essay teacher, checking out a roller derby with my new favorite baby mama, and coffee tomorrow with my favorite NC mama...my list goes on and on!  It isn't that I have to keep my calendar filled, but I prefer to have more social engagement than not--and I prefer that social engagement is with good people who make me smile and make me feel important (and kind, and smart, and loved--new motto shout out to ABS!). 

So as we continue to talk about emotions that may not be our favorite to experience, I challenge you to surround yourself with people and activities that keep you focused on loving yourself and motivating your progress toward your goals.  I'll take a Positive Polly over a Debbie Downer every day!! 

Who do you have in your life that reminds you that you are loved--that you are worth it--that you can be and do anything you ever desire?

No comments: