Friday, August 5, 2011

Pull ups

Friends are as companions on a journey, who ought to aid each other to persevere in the road to a happier life.  -Pythagoras

I'm still preparing mentally for tomorrow's 16 mile runs.  I've had highs and lows this week--as does any week, and working tonight to create my own high---so I can be prepared for the 4 AM alarm clock.  IPOD is charged, carbs are packed, water bottles are made, watch, belt & road ID are out, clothes are cleaned, anti-chafage stuff is laying out, and breakfast food is ready to be prepared.  So now that I have all of the right supplies & gear--comes the head work.

Lots of people think 16 miles sounds insane--and I absolutely agree!!  However, if one has been training properly all along, 16 miles is nothing in the physical sense--it is all one big mind game.  Obviously the music helps to pass the time, but 16 miles means that there are 16 miles worth of opportunities to quit.  Like life, there are various obstacles and challenges--heat, hills, distance, being tired, heat exhaustion, pain, and an overall inner self-defeat. 

As I do my mental prep work for tonight, I make a mental list of all the emotional & physical  hills I've climbed (thanks to Urrrrr for coming out to time me on Thurs!), and the friends I have had to accompany & challenge me along the way.  I made sure to surround myself with people today that would only make me feel better & not fall to opportunities that were open to create negativity within me.  Thanks to my chiropractor, I'm taped, stretched & adjusted, and thanks to friends near & far, I've got my head in the game. 

Only the cutest can pull off wearing PULL UPS
while getting a PUSH UP. 
Bet you thought tonight's entry would be about pull ups, right?  Maybe the diapers, or the actual exercise?  Nope, it is about surrounding yourself with people who help to pull you up, and the work one can do to pull him/herself up!!  So who & what are your pull  ups? 

To all those who sent music suggestions, LOVED it!!

I still don't have any submissions for tomorrow, so I will plan to take tomorrow off unless a submission comes in.  Feel free to email me if you'd like to submit a SUPERSTAR SATURDAY submission!!

Enjoy your weekend, all!!

5 comments:

Counseling for the Real World said...

Good luck Laura!
-Patch

La said...

Thanks Patcher. :) Miss you, bud!

Anonymous said...

I believe the historically accurate name for that particular exercise in the context of your life is the Dad- patented 'updown'.

La said...

Up-Downs are in a seated position, not prone. ;)

Anonymous said...

True, the most commonly used variation is forward facing, seated updown. However rear facing seated,supine and sidweways prone updowns, though rare, have been been performed to ecstatic review by all recipients (as measured by giggles by the receiver of said updown).