Wednesday, October 12, 2011

6

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else.  It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that yells "can't"but you don't listen.  You just push harder.  And then you hear the voice whisper "can."And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are. -Runner's World
 
Yet again, I’ve fallen behind a couple days. Good thing I have a 3 hour layover in Atlanta to get caught up! I suppose if the airport security is going to steal my peanut butter from me, I can work to find the positives that have still come from the situation—getting caught up on here!

Last April, I completed my first half-marathon in Charlotte, NC with Crizz. That night, I went home and packed my bags to go to France to visit my little sister. When I got back, Crizz and I had lunch and she mentioned that there was another half-marathon (this time it was a trail run instead of a road run) that weekend. So I signed up and dove right in. 2 half-marathons in 3 weeks. While many thought I was crazy (and I couldn’t really argue with them), training for the half-marathon had been fun. Every Friday night, Meggie would make dinner for Crizz and I so we could load up on some carbs. Saturday, Crizz and I would get together and run—Crizz in my left blind spot and keeping a 10 minute pace. Running the second half-marathon without Crizzle was tough because we had been running together every week for the past couple of months, but she and Crizz Whizz (her son) came out to cheer me on and hold my carbs/liquids so I could refill.

Imagine, if you will, the challenges I experienced in deciding I would run a marathon, knowing this would be a solo mission. I was used to approaching hills with Crizz and working to creatively string together the most interesting words to bless those hills out. I had enjoyed the routine of having a friend there to chat with during our water breaks. Most of all, I knew that the accountability we provided one another was critical—I wasn’t going to stop if she was there and she wasn’t going to stop if I was there.

When I received an email for a group I’d signed up for on Facebook, Triad Frontrunners, informing me of a couple folks who were getting together to run on a Saturday in June, I was unsure about whether or not I wanted to do this. I spoke about it with a few friends. I didn’t like group runs because I didn’t like keeping pace with others—the one time I did it, I was with people who kept a pace about 1 minute faster than I did so I was dying. I didn’t want to run with strangers. Really, I just wanted to run with Crizzle and nobody else.
 
Then I recalled a commitment I made to myself about trying new things...so I decided to take the plunge.
 
I met up with Bridget the next morning.  Hayden showed up late and had locked himself out of his house so he couldn't stay.  Bridget and I set off for a nice & easy 7 mile run.  I had set out that morning to go for a run and to not be a punk--I needed to put myself out there and try some different things when running.  Coach had encouraged it several times and that woman is NEVER wrong, so I gave it a shot. 
 
Bridget, Hayden & La--out for a Sat AM run
But by the time I left, I had made a new friend and couldn't wait to run with her again.  Bridget, Hayden and I went running again after that.  I would meet up with them after I'd done 10 miles or so on my long run days, and on my short run days would meet up, as well.  Prior to this, they joked that they were "married" and were "running husband and wife."  I'm not sure what it made me when I joined their "marriage," but I know it made me happy! 
 
Hayden and I have also Zumba'd together--I still owe him a Tuesday night Yoga class and I swear I'll pay up, buddy.  Bridget and I have enjoyed deep discussions regarding religion, cooked out, and enjoyed scary movie night. 
 
If I had to lose Crizzle, I'm glad something good came out of it--that good was my new running buddies, Hayden & Bridget.  I love you both and my 6 mile point is for you!  Bridget, thanks for all your encouragement and love and music along the way!!  XOXO

No comments: