Saturday, October 15, 2011

5

It takes a whole village to raise a child. -African Proverb

While many may consider me the village idiot (I don’t know that I could argue), I’m also a village-raised child. Since I was young, I was magnetically attracted to caring people. I can’t even tell you how many “Mothers” I have had in life. While I was birthed by one mother, many others have mothered me along the way. As I’ve grown into adulthood (OMG have I mentioned how scary 30 is?!), I have learned more about mothering myself and have been welcomed with open arms into others’ families.
 
As I sit back and reflect upon the families that have taken me in as one of their own over the years, I am astounded by the number of families that I have been fortunate enough to be a part of for some period in time.  Tonight, I'm going to bed in a city where my friends' parents sleep on the other side of town, and when I saw them earlier today, I called them Mom and Dad.  Yesterday, I was introduced as a daughter (not by one of my parents).  I always appreciate and love the family with which I am biologically connected, but there is also a sense of love and appreciation for others. 
 
For the purposes of anonymity, I won't mention names, but to the Mothers, Fathers, and friends out there who support me to the very end, I appreciate all the love and encouragement you can offer. 
 
Mile 5 goes out to all the non-family Family I have out in this world.  Love to you all. 

No comments: