Monday, October 3, 2011

13

Chose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. – Confucius

Holy buckets--we are getting so close to single digits.  How exciting & simultaneously terrifying!

One thing that all who know me can agree on is my incredible work ethic.  Unless my arm is literally falling off my body or the wheels have been torn from my car, I will get to work every day and I will work hard while I am there.  I often joke about what a slacker I am in the workplace, but this is only because I know how untrue it is. 

Since moving from IA to NC, I have taken a completely different attitude toward work and have found a job that aligns with this new approach:  work to live, rather than live to work.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job and I know I am good at it, but I have found that work is only a part of life, not all of life. 

Today's 13th day of the countdown goes out to all of those with whom I work:  My bosses who are supportive, flexible, and understand my required supervision style; my coworkers who help keep the workplace afloat financially & positive otherwise; and our collaterals/referral sources who keep job security for myself & my co-workers. 

I have worked in a job where waking up every morning was one big nightmare that would last 12 hours, and I'd get up and do it all over again.  I've worked in a job where every step was a social minefield, wondering if you would get written up, have your responsibility/workload doubled without pay, and where I was taken advantage of daily. 
A few of us out at a local baseball game--
FPS team bonding!
I am now in a job where I get to make my own schedule, I am allowed time to myself, I am empowered to make decisions, I am supported when I request it, I am valued, and I am truly a part of a cooperative team.  As a result, I am able to provide the most quality of services with colleagues who do the same, and we continue to turn out successes in the community, and keep our favorite workers at DJJ, DSS and the schools coming back for more!   We recently moved from a small office to a larger office to accommodate all the people we have--our team of employees took turns coming in on nights and weekends to help paint, put together furniture, clean, and move.  While this took time and sweat, we all had fun working together and taking ownership in our new space....which, I might add, is amazing!!

It is good to know that I will be able to take a small trip to the Midwest to do a race, while knowing my clients are in good hands and that my teammates have got my back.  Now if only our computer program for e-charting would be HALF as amazing as we are!  :) 

No comments: