Tuesday, October 4, 2011

12

You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it, however.  -Richard Bach

Someone told me long ago that the most untrue lines in the constitution are as follows:  "All men are created equal."  The truth is that we are NOT all created equal--some of us were born into homes with 2.5 children, a picket fence and a dog and cat.  Others were born in a cardboard box, and others in a mansion.  Some of us were born perfectly healthy, others with allergies, others with some serious medical issues or a family history that will impact us permanently.  Some of us were wanted when we were born, and some of us were not.

One of the most amazing lessons I have learned is that while some of us were handed life on a silver platter, those who were not have the most amazing strength and resiliance.  I read somewhere that after Katrina came through, there was a huge rash of suicides that occurred--and most of these were those of middle-class individuals; ironically, this was the population that was impacted the least (in numbers), but the lower-class individuals did not have the huge suicide influx.  I would propose that this is because the lower-class individuals have lived a life of loss, hardship and oppression--which has given them the ability to navigate these ever-so-familiar situations. 

Over 10 years ago, I met a little girl who was born and raised in a situation that was far different than mine.  She has experienced challenges that most of us would never dream of and losses that no one should ever experience.  Despite all this, she finds the courage to get up and keep going every day.  While there is no genetic relationship between us, I refer to her as "my kid" and am proud of the fact that she has never given up, and has kept in touch with me, even after I moved across the country.  I will get to see her next weekend, and hope she will join my family and I for the holidays again this year.

If I can find even an ounce of that strength to push forward when my body starts to ache during race day, I know I will be able to push through!

Miss you, kiddo!!  XOXO

No comments: