Sunday, October 2, 2011

15

Friends are the family we choose for ourselves.  -Unknown

If you would've asked me 11 years ago where I would be today and who I would be surrounding myself with, I would have never guessed that my life today would be as it is. 

In the Spring of 2009, I decided I'd had enough of the life I was living in Iowa and knew it was time to make changes.  After many emails and phone calls with a couple of friends, I finally got the courage to relocate, and June 26, 2009, I packed up my little Mitsubishi Lancer and headed South.  Again, I was headed to a brand new state, as I'd done 9 years before--but this time, I knew 4 people:  Megan, Melissa, and their 2 kids. 
I like to take full credit for Megan and Melissa's relationship--as I did introduce them to one another my freshman year of college.  For this, I do think they owe me everything.  Given the fact that it was Megan's encouragement that brought me to NC (which has obviously been a great change for me), I guess we can call it ALMOST even.  Megan and Melissa are foster parents and had children before, but in February of 2008, they had Tommy and Stephanie placed with them.  The adoption was finalized in 2009, making the kids officially "Guthrie-Johnsons."  So when I moved down here in 2009, I wasn't just moving down to stay with my old college friends, but with their new family.  I had met the kids when they'd come back to the Midwest a couple times, so moving in with them was much different.  Let us also factor in that Tommy Lee has autism, can't speak, and when angry gets violent--so it wasn't like moving in was just an adjustment to living with kids--but kids with some different needs. 
Sissy, Meg, T-Money, Melissa
It wasn't long before I feel in love with the kids and quickly learned how to manage and communicate with Tommy.  After 2 years, 3 months and 1 week, I can tell you that I love these kids more than I could ever imagine loving a kid!!  Yes, Stephanie can be sassy and Tommy can be frustrating--and noisy at 6 AM when I want to sleep--but receiving the title "Fraunt La" (friend/aunt) was the most honorable title I could imagine receiving.  And I have always appreciated Megan and Melissa--but seeing their endless committment to these kids makes me proud to be their friends.
Melissa, Walmart, La, Stephanie, Meg
La's First Marathon!!
May of 2010, I entered my first 5k.  I was as nervous as could be.  I was running a 5k several times a week already when out on my runs, but this was the first official race.  I was terrified that I would be last, or wouldn't finish--and just scared because it was the first race I'd ever done.  Megan & Melissa decided to support me in this by signing the family up and doing the race as well--and without any training, which ensured that I would NOT be last.  I crossed the finish line and turned around to cheer for them as they rolled in about 10 minutes behind me.  They woke their rear ends up super early on a Saturday, purchased a jogging stroller so they could push Tommy, and went out to do a 5k  just to support me.  April of 2011, they got a hotel and came to cheer me on at my first half-marathon, standing out in the pouring rain and cheering as we approached the 4 mile mark--exactly the encouragement I needed at that time. 
Riah, Sissy, La
Bio fam & new fam unite
The memories we had started with eating ice cream under the stairway at a hotel in Waverly and sitting in the back of the chapel at Eucharist, and has moved now into Tuesday night family night as we watch Parenthood & Glee.  Our fun used to be riding in the car and listening to loud music during a last-minute road trip.  Now our fun is tickling and wrestling with the kids in the living room. 
I do consider all of my close friends to be family, but this family of mine has been and always will be my close family in NC.  Megan will always be my bruh.  Melissa will always be my homie.  Stephanie will always be my niece.  And Tommy will always be the best man in my life--and the only one allowed in my bed! 
If there was one wish I had regarding the marathon (outside of the obvious--that I sprouted wings and could fly the entire thing), it would be that I could pack up a bus of my NC peeps and bring them with--and this family would be at the front of the bus!! 

Have you ever seen anything cuter?
Signing "eat"
Sissy & Bubba Love



Like Mother, Like Daughter
Sissy being "gangsta"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While God may also deserve some credit for my relationship w Megan, yes, you have a significant part! And significant still today. I love the memories -- ice cream capital of the world and more -- and I'm grateful for the journey. I'm further proud of your journey! Our friendship has changed w the seasons -- but most importantly endured the seasons. Love you La.