Saturday, October 8, 2011

10

How would you like to be a Spotted Elephant?  Or a Choo-Choo with square wheels on your caboose?
Or a water pistol that shoots -- jelly?  We're all misfits!  How would you like to be a bird that doesn't fly? I swim!  Or a cowboy who rides an ostrich?  Or a boat that can't stay afloat?  We're all misfits.
-Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer Movie


Back to playing catch-up--and again, I thank you!!

Hil, Urr, Holl, Ash, Crizz, La
Earlier this year, I was introduced into a very prestigious and loving group of characters, the Misfits.  This crew has become the most reliable and active crew of people I have belonged to since coming to NC.  Since I met them, our Misfit Gatherings (also known as "Wadies Night") have entailed lots of humor, stories that fall under the Vegas Rule (what happens at Wadies Night stays at Wadies night), and memories a-plenty.  We have done trips to the lake, days of swimming, movie night at home movie night at the theater, kicking it with Michael Jackson, eating interestingly-named ice cream flavors, and finding any reason under the sun to have a party--most recently a birthday.  This group of tree-hugging, hummus-eating, reusable-bag using  hippies have shown me nothing short of unconditional love, acceptance and support.  I remember while floating in the water at the lake, realizing that I hadn't felt this happy and "at home" within myself at any point in my life.

La, Baby Mama, Schweddy Balls Man,
Caron, Crizz
This crew came along right at the time at which I thought NC was going to be nothing more than a 2-year pit stop, and that I would NEVER make a lasting friend.  When I thought I was an island of my own, I found the Island of my Misfits and swam ashore.  It has a more breath-taking and lovely view than any other shore that an anchor has been dropped.

Mile 10 is for you, Wadies! 



No comments: