Thursday, October 6, 2011

11

In America you can always find a party. In Russia the party always finds you. - Yakov Smirnoff

When I came to NC, I made a commitment to myself that I would stay for a minimum of 2 years. I kid you not when I say that for the first year I was here, I could tell you at any given time how long I had been here, and how long until I left.  I enjoyed many things about NC--warmer weather, year-round flowers, civilization, diversity--but I didn't have a single friend.  Correction--I hadn't made a single friend that I spent time with.  I had a great team at work, and M&M were always here--literally right next door (in the same house!), but I hadn't made any friends that I spent social time with.

In June of 2010, I had enough of the beginning of NC summer heat and bought a gym membership.  While it is overpriced, this decision has been one of the best I've made since I've been here--for both physical health and social health reasons.  As a part of the promotion that was going on, I got a free training session or got some discounted ones or something.  I was then contacted by a foreigner with a thick accent.
Russia
Who would've known that this 6 foot tall Russian beauty queen would become my first friend?  Now--don't be fooled by  her smile--she is as evil as they come.  I'm serious!  If you've watched any of the TV shows with the trainers on there that are in your face, consider those child's play.  "Laurindos, move your ass!" was tame.  It was the exact thing I needed to help me start my strength training.

June 26, 2010, I had planned to spend my entire day sulking in my bedroom to "celebrate" my 1 year mark in NC.  Halfway there, I told myself--until these thrilling plans were interrupted by the Russian who invited me out to a picnic at a local winery.  While I don't drink, I couldn't help but wonder if this outing may be slightly more exciting than the 24-hour hibernation I had planned.  I graciously accepted.  I spent the entire afternoon with the Russian ladies and their non-Russian husbands--and they were speaking in Russian nearly the entire time.  Not only was I in love with hearing this beautiful language, but I was amazed at the irony:  I felt like I "belonged" while sitting around a table with people who weren't even speaking English--when I'd been here a year and hadn't found it even once in the company of Americans! 

With the Russian
Russia had her birthday last weekend and we celebrated it at her home, in a house filled with Russians--and this time some new Americans and a few other nationalities--and despite the house full of guests she had, she still made time to visit with me.

You know I love you, Russia, but I hope you know how much you have meant to me--as a trainer and as a friend.  I have taken your advice many times and I know you are listening to the advice I have given you.  Arbuz!

No comments: